Sunday, December 12, 2010

Happy birthday

So, over a year is up and T’s second birthday (with me) is tomorrow. I keep pestering her for what she wants, and she finally gives me a very difficult job to do. I need to write her a short letter. Something that she can read and relish even 20 years down the line. And I wonder how to write a ‘short’ letter which describes all that she means to me. How do I explain to her emotions the depth of which I myself am yet to comprehend completely. Is it possible at all? So here I am instead, writing my first blog on life after T.

I must start at the beginning; at life before T. I am sure everyone has gone through phases where he or she thinks that life really can’t get any better. I was in that phase; had been in that phase for a long time. And God gave me the most pleasant surprise by showing that life really can get better still!

What has changed after I met her? Everything has changed. Life has changed. I have changed. And yet everything has remained the same. So while I still enjoy every moment the way I used to, the same cool breeze at the sea face feels more special now because she is there to share it with, the same movie becomes more memorable because she is there to experience it with, the same restaurant becomes more enjoyable to dine because she is there to savour and critique all the dishes with me. The mere sight of her smiling face as she is waiting for me outside the canteen for lunch brightens up everything around. The same experience now gives me a level of pleasure which I never thought it could contain. Even the mundane walk to the station from home is not the same anymore. Every moment is fresh and new and exciting and waiting to be experienced together.

I suppose that is what love and marriage really is about. Its all about companionship, about togetherness, about sharing everything with each other, and about enhancing each others’ experiences. Its about every moment spent together feeling special simply by the virtue of it being experienced together. So on this first birthday of yours after our marriage, I want to thank you T for simply being there darling; for being there when I needed you and when I thought I didn’t; for making life so much more special to experience simply by your presence; for making every moment something to cherish and remember because you were a part of it. I love you. Happy birthday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment